10 June 2007

Summer Reading

I just finished reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, a book that my friend recommended to me, and also the summer reading assignment for last year's freshman, class of '10. There is something about the summer books that Duke assigns (last year it was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini) that make me overly emotional--with the exception of the reading for my own freshman class, Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder, which had its merits because it was about Paul Farmer, but was far less stimulating as a book.

My Sister's Keeper is about a topic that I am somewhat familiar with through my time volunteering at the pediatric blood & marrow transplant unit. Maybe because I recognize the terms "blasts" and "acute myelogenous leukemia", or because it reminds me of the time when I went to my friend's funeral mass and saw the faces of parents who had lost their child to leukemia, or maybe just because it was some pretty good fiction, I found myself crying at the end. For some reason the older I get, the easier I cry at movies and books. I wonder why that is...emotional maturity? Or maybe you just see more and more grief as you grow up, so that all of these storylines begin to resonate with something inside you.

Well, I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a book to read. I'm also on a hunt for the old fantasy books I used to read as a kid. Every time I come home from school, I get this weird irrepressible nostalgia that I can only satisfy by watching old family movies and reading old books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home