06 December 2007

Gossip Girl and the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence


It's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy with interviews, exams, piano events, and toxic amounts of TV. I've become such a TV-fanatic since two years ago, when I used to avoid the tube like it was sucking the thought of my brain. Suddenly--maybe it's the stress, maybe it's because none of my classes are vaguely appealing to me this semester--I really embrace that feeling. My taste in shows has also rapidly declined...or is it that all of the good shows have gone bad? In any case, I've substituted Heroes (what happened to that formula from last season? why can't they think of a new one that works?) with a second-rate show like Gossip Girl. It's all for Chuck, the only interesting character and best actor on the show. Never mind that he's almost a rapist. It's just TV.


***
But let me move on. I do still think about other things beyond hot British actors, and in one last bout of news-reading before I launch into hermit mode for my second to last season of finals, here is an entertaining article by the NYTimes' Thomas Friedman that's worth reading. It's what I'm pretty sure an intelligence report by the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence to President Ahmadenijad must look like:

'We have to note that obtaining open-source intelligence in America has become more difficult, because traditional news shows have become more comedic and more comedic news shows more authoritative.

For instance, CNN’s nightly business report is hosted by a man named “Dobbs.” Real journalists come on his show and present transparently propagandistic stories about immigration and trade and then he fulminates about them, much the way our ayatollahs used to do about “Satanic Americans” on late-night Iranian TV. So viewers have no real idea what’s happening in the U.S. economy.

Meanwhile, at 11 p.m., something called “The Daily Show,” which appears on Comedy Central, has fake journalists presenting what turns out to be the real news.'

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At December 24, 2007 12:38 PM, Blogger Fenix said...

Haha! I love Gossip Girl also...it's so silly. Like, they clearly don't behave like any high school students I know.

And I have only caught the Daily Show once or twice but there's also a show called the Colbert Report that is very interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home